Choose one of two sessions:
Session I - June 3-7, 2019
Session II - June 10-14, 2019
TOTAL HANDS-ON IMMERSION
ROATAN INSTITUTE FOR MARINE SCIENCE
July 20-27, 2019
The Alabama School of Fine Arts https://www.asfa.k12.al.us/ is partnering with Family Dive Club, Ocean First Education https://www.oceanfirsteducation.com/ and the Roatan Institute for Marine Sciences https://www.roatanims.org/ to bring Alabama students in rising grades 10 -12 a one of a kind opportunity to dive into the magical world of Marine Sciences.
Students will get certified to Scuba Dive in one of our two Scuba Camp Sessions in June and then travel to Roatan Honduras for a full week of hands-on Marine Science fieldwork immersion. We will spend the week working with professional marine scientists on coral restoration projects, data collection, fish identification and more. We’ll scuba dive every day and as a super bonus, we'll also swim with dolphins. If your student loves the ocean then this unique experience will give them invaluable first hand exposure to a variety of marine science related careers. If your student would like to pursue high school credit, there is also an Ocean First on-line Marine Science course they will complete in preparation for the trip.
The Marine Science summer experience includes:
- One week of Scuba Camp in June leading to PADI Open Water Scuba Certification
- All Scuba Camp classroom materials
- Use of scuba equipment during Scuba Camp
- Ocean First Education’s interactive on-line Marine Science 101 course
- Round trip air fare to Roatan, Honduras from Birmingham, AL in July
- Escorted round trip Airport transfers in Roatan
- Resort Taxes and fees
- 7 nights lodging at Anthony’s Key Resort
- 6 days of diving in Roatan
- 2 boat dives a day
- 1 night dive
- 3 meals daily
- Unlimited shore diving at Anthony’s Key Resort
- Dolphin lecture and dolphin swim
- Use of all Scuba equipment in Roatan
- Adult supervision while in Roatan at a ratio no smaller than 8 to 1
- Program t-shirt
- Marine park and hyperbaric chamber tour and contribution
- Admittance into the Roatan Museum
- Use of recreational services and facilities at Anthony’s Key Resort
- Day Trip and BBQ Lunch to Maya Key
- Gratuities to dive and resort staff
- Not included: passport, mask, snorkel, fins, airport and baggage fees, optional travel and diving insurance.
Cost $3699.00./$3134.00 If student is already Scuba Certified.
High School Students in 10th-12th grade seeking High School Credit will complete three components for a full year school credit. The three components include:
1. Ocean First Online Marine Science education. Students must finish the Online course by July 12, 2019
2. Scuba Certification from one of two Scuba Camp Sessions.
Session I. June 3-7, 2019
Session II. June 10-14, 2019
3. A full week of scientific diving and marine science education at the Roatan Institute for Marine Sciences.
July 20-27, 2019
Scheduled upon request We've created a class for families designed specifically to accommodate parents' work schedule. The family class utilizes PADI's eLearning option where the knowledge development portion is done individually online. Please contact us directly to discuss availability for this one of a kind family experience. Price depends on the number of participants. You can reach us at 205-249-2267.